08:30 am Meet our guide in Parma and head on to visit an authentic producer of Parmigiano-Reggiano PDO: you’ll discover how the King of all cheeses has been literally made by
hand in the same way since the Benedictine monks invented it 10 centuries ago! From the curdling into the typical copper heaters to the salting and the final ageing in the so-called wheel cathedrals, you will be a privileged witness of almost all the steps of production of this out-and-out food icon. Tasting at the end.
To follow – Picture-stop at the medieval fortified village of Torrechiara dominated by its breathtaking castle: one of the most spectacular among the manors included in the
Italian network called Castles of the Duchy, it dates back to the early Renaissance time and – with its gentle lines and the golden frescoes housed in the highest tower – it still represents the switch from the Middle Ages to the modern era.
11:15 am – Guided visit with final tasting at one of the local family-run ham factories producing the mythical Prosciutto di Parma PDO: you will get to know why the best ham can only be made in the hills of Parma, where the marino wind blows from the Ligurian Sea through the river valley.
12:30/45 pm – Full lunch based on the typical products of the area: Prosciutto as well as other kind of local cold cuts, a typical stuffed pasta dish (tortelli di Parma), homemade cakes.
All paired up with local wines like Lambrusco and Malvasia!
02:15 pm – Transfer to the province of Reggio/Emilia.
02:45 pm – Guided visit & tasting at a family-run production of Traditional Balsamic Vinegar PDO.
03:45 pm – End of activities and back to hotel / head on to your next destination.
– Private licensed expert guide for Parmigiano, Prosciutto and lunchtime (English / other languages if available) + staff person/owner for the private visit at the Balsamic Vinegar production’s
– Guided visit & tasting at a Parmigiano-Reggiano dairy with final tasting
– Picture stop at the Castle of Torrechiara
– Guided visit & tasting at a Prosciutto di Parma producer’s
– Typical full lunch
– Guided visit & tasting at a Traditional Balsamic Vinegar producer’s
– Any extras, tips and personal expenses
– Everything not mentioned in inclusions
– Private transfer
– Parking costs
– No fee up to 8 days before the starting day
– From 7 days to 3 days before the tour starting date: 50% penalty
– 48 hours’ notice: 70% penalty
– 24 hours’ notice: 100% penalty
– The precise meeting point with the guide will be communicated within 7 days before tour date.
– Program: the described program may undergo minor changes in the timings
– The tour is offered in a self-drive option (on the board of your own car), private transfer from your locations can be purchased upon by email request. Otherwise, ask us about rental car option, we have special dedicated rates to our guests
– Guide: the guide joins you on board only by the car+driver grade and always according to the Covid-regulations valid at the moment of booking. In case you choose the own-car option, the guide drives on his/her own, and you just follow with your car (with our itinerary instructions as emergency measure).
– Lunch: the lunch can be arranged at a local restaurant, a ham producer’s, an agriturismo or a winemaker’s depending on availability
– It is not guaranteed to see the craftsmen at work at every production: being artisanal and not industrial products, the working cycle is not repeated every day at the same time (eg. Traditional Balsamic Vinegar, wine making, Prosciutto di Parma, Culatello)