Via Spluga Hiking
HIGHLIGHTS – Why visit?
- Explore 2 European countries, Switzerland and Italy, during with unique walk.
- Enjoy indoor and outdoor Spa at Andeer.
- Discover the stunning landscapes where the grandeur of nature‘s spectacle leaves one breathless.
Arrival in Thusis.
When you check in, you will be presented with an additional information pack (one per room) that will contain vouchers for entrance to the points of interest that you will come across en-route and the parking pass.
Overnight in Hotel.
We set out from Thusis, a charming and well-disposed little Swiss town in the canton of the Grisons and before very long arrive at one of the most picturesque yet dramatic of environs: the Via Mala gorges.
It’s a section which also throws up an alternative, equally ancient route, the Via Traversina, which runs parallel to the Via Spluga but higher up, even more panoramic in character and with an increased height differential: this stretch ends at the delightful village of Andeer, hosting its splendidly decorated houses and little cobbled streets.
Overnight in hotel, possibility to use the hotel’s SPA.
From the veritable capital of the Romansch language, a somewhat particular Neo-Latin native tongue, we head off for the magnificent, scintillating and foaming Roffla Waterfalls.
Then to resume our journey we climb along a path which cuts across the bends of the old road; and once beyond the freeway we enter the welcome calm of spruce woodland with huge trunks guiding us along a path which alternates with up and down tracts.
It will inevitably lead us to Sufers, a village dating back to the Carolingian epoch, situated in a basin in the valley floor and bordered by rangy mountains.
Following the ancient dirt track, we finally reach Splügen, a town which continued to develop over the centuries thanks to commerce in transit through the Pass bearing the same name.
Overnight in hotel.
Alpine pastures with breathtaking panorama of the surrounding peaks, avalanche barrier tunnels and well-maintained, cobbled/paved mule-tracks are all set to feature along this high-altitude and expansive section, enhanced by the heady fragrance of blooms as we move up from the village on the northern slope of the Pass prior to the descent on the Italian side to the village of Montespluga, where you can breathe in the atmosphere of times past.
From the village of Montespluga the route takes on the right side of the reservoir in order to reach one of the two dams and to appreciate some spectacular views over the Cardinello Gorge: this is one of the most dramatic sections guaranteed to linger long in the memory.
It’s a route which was not created without considerable exertions over the years, with the imposing rock faces to the left and up above and the steep gorge plunging away to the right where the torrent itself courses. The descent requires a certain amount of caution, but it’s not demanding and leads us gently towards the typical wooden mountain dwellings (baite) of Sosta, Mottaletta and finally to Isola.
Overnight in hotel.
From Isola a wander through attractive fir woodland beckons and Campodolcino lies in wait.
A section which is practically all downhill in nature, following the route of the Liro torrent and introducing the hiker to the joys of Val San Giacomo: we’re wandering along pathways between well-tended dry-stone wall and meadow, through chestnut groves and taking in places of considerable historical and religious interest.
We approach Chiavenna along a path with magnificent panorama over the length of Valchiavenna; from the age-old terraces hosting traditional vineyards you catch your first glimpse of a very special Alpine community, with its immaculately preserved historic center.
Overnight in hotel.
The final day in which to spend time in the attractive historic center, to admire the centuries-old buildings, frescoes and charming piazza, and of course enjoy local, traditional food delicacies with an accompanying glass of wine.
- n.5 overnights in double room with breakfast;
- n. 4 packed lunches provided from hotels;
- luggage transports from hotel to hotel;
- Trekking map (1.50:000) and Useful Information leaflet;
- Free Thermal Bath entry;
- Via Spluga gadget;
- Free Entries to:
- the Via Mala Gorge,
- the St. Martino church and the regional museum in Zillis,
- the Roffla Gorge,
- 1 entry to Thermal Bath of Andeer,
- the Museum of theVia Spluga in Campodolcino,
- the Paradiso botanical Garden in Chiavenna,
- the Vertemate Franchi Palace in Piuro
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- International / domestic airfares and taxes;
- Transfer to the starting point / from the final point of the walk;
- Meals other than as specified in the program, Half Board could be added upon request;
- Travel insurance or any type of personal expenses (mini bar, laundry, phone calls, etc);
- Tips or gratuities to guides, restaurants, drivers, etc;
- Any other travel expense not specifically mentioned in the program;
- City taxes should be paid directly to hotels.
The walk is available only from June till October. Extra night/s in Switzerland or Italy could be added on request.
Chiavenna town is located not far from Lake Como and Milano.
REQUEST A DETAILED ITINERARY AND YOUR QUOTE
Let us help you customize your perfect trip.